Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Rev Joseph Lowery's Benediction - I found it!

I so loved the way he ended his benediction and I found it funny. On some blogs, people found it a bit racist but I think it was overall humorous and important to remember.

Lowery gives sole inaugural note of racial caution

WASHINGTON (AP) — Amid the outpouring of inaugural joy over the racial progress represented by President Barack Obama, there was a single, humorous mention of work still to be done.

After the first black president had been sworn in, Rev. Joseph Lowery' ended his benediction with a rhyme familiar to black churchgoers:

"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around..."

There was laughter from the enormous crowd. The 87-year-old civil rights pioneer continued:

"When yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."

The crowd thundered, "Amen!"

--------

Me: I shouted 'Amen' from my couch as well. :-)

3 comments:

Obamako17 said...

the thing about white people was a bit racially, but that guy rocked!

DeltaPurl said...

I loved it!

ButterPeanut said...

it made me smile as well. and yes, sasha and malia are most definitely the cutest first kids ever. sorry, kennedys.