Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Post-Inauguration Random Musings

"We must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America."

- A very sobering speech by Obama but truthful. I would have loved a bit of his musicality but I think the speech was right for the period we're in. I loved that he spoke directly to muslims and asserted that muslim/West relations would be handled with respect. It was great too that he mentioned global warming a couple of times. A very dense speech, one that says he knows what a basket case the world is currently but still that we should hope and that we should work hard to rebuild.

- I absolutely loved Rev. Joseph Lowery's benediction at the end. His gravelly voice and his bent towards rhythmic poetry was great to listen to. I especially liked his last words hearkening to "Black, Brown And White" by Big Bill Broonzy:

"If you was white, should be all right,
if you was brown, stick around,
but as you's black, hmm brother, get back, get back, get back"

I've tried to find Rev. Lowery's exact words but youtube, etc. is letting me down. I guess they just don't work fast enough :-)

- Malia and Sasha looked cute throughout; Cutest first kids ever?

- I thought it was a bit endearing that Obama stumbled through his oath. It showed his nervousness and excitement and showed him to be human. Of course I'm biased.

- Aretha's singing made me cry. I don't know why but it really really touched me.

- The only bad note was the poet. She was very stilted and I might need to read her poem to get the message she was trying to get across.

The inauguration was a beautiful thing. I think the US is often criticized for overdoing things but I think such circumstances merit pomp.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

while not succumbing to the waterworks, I did love how he stumbled in really normal way during the swearing in. made me chuckle.

cherie... said...

The benediction was definitely my favourite part...I sooo love the reverend!

Obamako17 said...

Truth is, it was bloody John Roberts who FED Obama the wrong lines! White man just can't stop stickin it too us, even in our inauguration....