Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Gallus Mittens



Pattern: Gallus by Kirsten Kapur

Yarn: Handmaiden Fine Yarn Sea Silk in Paris

Needles: 2mm / US 0 circular (Magic loop method used)

These mittens are the first mittens I've ever knitted. I was never sure if I'd like wearing mittens. I generally prefer the separation of fingers afforded by gloves. But I wanted to try something new and there are so many fun mittens patterns out there that I wanted to indulge in some mitten knitting. Also, mittens are near instant gratification.



I knitted these for the most part while I was on holiday in La Rochelle, France. These lovely mittens enjoyed the ambiance of many a cafe. I sipped tea (I'm not a fan of coffee but I love cafes) while the boyfriend enjoyed his cafe au lait. It was a magical holiday and these mittens will always remind me of that experience.

4 comments:

Justine said...

Those are fantastic! I've been meaning to make a pair for myself for ages!

Love the colourway you chose - brown and blue is a great colour combo

Caryl said...

Thanks! I wanted them to match my teal clapotis so I thought the shades of brown with the blue through would be a nice subtle match.

Ruth said...

Those are really pretty! The variegated yarn does not hide the stitching, so the combination is really good. Nice holiday, eh?

Caryl said...

It was a very nice holiday. I od-ied on pastries and desserts though. The French know how to make excellent sweet things :-)