Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday, Monday

I know that when you decide to do something, you should listen to Nike and just do it but there's something about starting on a Monday. I did start getting in my steps right away but today I feel I've really started on my other goals.

I woke up at a very early 10:30 (I've kinda been staying up till 3am and waking up around noon or later) and went for a jog on the boardwalk. It was a bit pitiful (my pace) and my limbs weren't particularly in the mood (it was freezing) but I got a good 40 min jog in. The nice thing about the freezing weather is that any temptation to walk is quickly sidelined as you'd turn into an icicle.

Later during the day I went to check out gyms in the neighborhood. I feel a bit spoiled as I had the best gym in London (3 floors, pool, sauna, steam room, etc etc) for very cheap as part of my insurance. The gyms in my hood are pretty basic but that's really all I need and the one I think I'll join is close by so I have no excuses. They also have tons of spinning classes, I love spinning (on bikes that is, I've given up on trying to spin fiber).

Then I went to the grocery store and got ingredients to make some nice, healthy veggie chili which I just made and it turned out yummy.

I've managed 12,674 steps as well and it's only 5pm. I think I'll do some marching in front of the TV later to get an evening burn. The best part of this day is just feeling positive about making some changes and exercising again. Woot!

Black bean Chili Recipe (for anyone interested):

1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 tbl chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cans (19 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (19 oz each) crushed tomatoes

In a 5 quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic;season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.

Add zucchini, carrots, chili powder, and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally until carrots are tender-crisp, 6 to 10 minutes. Add beans and tomatoes. Simmer until slightly thickened and carrots are soft, 8 to 10 minutes more.

My version of recipe provided by friend


ETA: Steps today - 14,332

No comments: