Saturday, December 5, 2009

NY times



On Thursday I had one of those awesome NY evenings. I met up with Angelique, my new friend. I met her through ravelry when I started a thread saying I was looking for friends in NYC. She's here from Denver for a couple of months and so was also looking for friends and so we've been having fun exploring the crafterly side to NYC.

Knit Shops

First, we met up and hit a couple of knit shops. We stopped at Wool and the Gang. The yarns are gorgeous and the colors lush but the prices, way way way too high with very little yardage per skein. Also, the people at the shop were super trendy but weren't the most informed on knitting. Some of the yarn did not have the yardage on it and when we asked, one of the women was like, "yeah, people keep asking that..." imagine slightly clueless voice but with a British accent. She did look lovely and trendy though.

Then we hit Purl Soho, gorgeous place again though tiny and ridunkulously expensive. I found the prices a bit intimidating so while I admired, I quickly made an exit. We tried out Purl's fabric shop which was a couple of shops down. Again, gorgeous but wow, expensive!!! I considered buying some fat quarters but prices started around $40 for very few fat quarters, so I just said no.

Gallery

After checking out these lovely but expensive shops, we hit a gallery which was showcasing gorgeous plushies; the NY Holiday Plush show at gallery hanahou. There were some absolutely lovely plushies there.

Check out the lovely birds! (More pics on my flickr)




Bulgogi Hot Dog

After our crafterly activities, we met up with some of Angelique's friends at Blind Tiger on Bleecker. Can I just say what an amazing street Bleecker St is? OMG! The restaurants!!! We wanted to eat everything! There was pinkberry, Five Guys, Qdoba, and then tons of cafes, pizzerias, bars, etc. And of course, each place sold the best x in NY. On the way to the bar, Angelique and I saw this hot dog spot that sold the best hot dogs in NY and in their window, they had cool plastic models of their hot dogs and they sold bulgogi kim chi hot dogs. Angelique is half-Korean and we started fantasizing about the dogs.



We met up for drinks with people at the bar and could not stop talking about wanting to try these hot dogs. So when the idea of food came up, we HAD to go there. The others went to get pizza (at I'm sure the best place to get pizza in NY and we went to the hot dog place).



Bulgogi kim chi hot dog with fries:



Nom:



So I must say, the hot dogs lived up to the fantasy. They were delish! So it's a hot dog with bulgogi and kim chi on top. So so yummy!!!

Afterwards we went walking in search of a new venue. But, Angelique and I abandoned the search to head for dessert. Next door to the hot dogs was a dessert place and the cheesecake looked amazing. Plus cookies, cakes, etc etc. So we ran off from the ground and went back to the cafe. See above for picture of yummy desserts.

What a fun evening!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Caryl, you gotta make a move (or at least a visit) to Portland, Oregon! We've got at least ten yarn shops with gorgeous yarns at good prices. And, everyone's so friendly. Just sayin'...it is a knitter's paradise!

p.s. Have you fully recovered from the marathon?

Caryl said...

Hey,

I'm fully recovered though I've lost my drive to run. Need to get back into that. I'd love to move to the Pacific Northwest. I spent summers in Seattle as a teenager and would love to move back to the area. Do you know any good jobsites for the area? I think if I found a good job out there, I'd be out there in a jiffy.